Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Thomas Friedman "Hot, Flat and Crowded" | Salon

We can argue how much pure finance this is, but Thomas Friedman has a new book out. I have not even seen it, but was profiled in Salon. In it he suggests the industries and fields in which we should be investing. Now I have trouble with anyone telling me where people should be investing (the market will usually get it), but the interview is interesting and I am fairly sure I will be buying the book.

Thomas Friedman "Hot, Flat and Crowded" | Salon:
"The shortest way I can explain it is that 'hot' stands for the increase in global warming, 'flat' is my metaphor for the rise of middle classes all over the world, from India to China to Brazil to Russia, who are now able to consume and produce like Americans, and 'crowded' is the fact that the population of the planet in my lifetime ...has almost tripled."
and later:
"...the engine of this whole change is the market. We're not going to regulate our way out of this problem. We can only innovate our way out of it. But that requires rules. It requires legislators, Congress, to write different rules. "

No comments: