Thursday, November 11, 2010

Visualizing How the Things You Own, End Up Owning You. | Steadfast Finances

A fascinating look from Steadfast Finances at where money goes by work days in calendar form:

Visualizing How the Things You Own, End Up Owning You. | Steadfast Finances:
"I thought it would be beneficial if I documented exactly how I use a simple monthly calendar and a few personal finance metrics to visually represent how many hours, days, even weeks, I had to work in order to maintain “ownership” of my stuff when I first entered the workforce."


Interestingly (and this may explain why I have such a boring life), I have done this basic idea for as long as i can remember: translate purchases into opportunity costs. For instance, is working an extra hour really worth that new shirt, etc. Now it gets a bit messy on a salary and without overtime, but the basic idea holds.

No comments: