Monday, December 08, 2008

Warren Buffett: then and now

Clusterstock may have outdone themselves with their great look at Warren Buffett's previous articles. One in 1974, one in 1979, one in 1999, and then a recent opinion-editorial in the NY Times.

Buffett Calls The Market Again...And He's Never Been Wrong:
"...who is Buffett, anyway? How do we know he isn't one of these jokers who is never in doubt and usually wrong?"
While all of the articles are fascinating (historical and relevant at the same time), I will only give you one peek:

From October 16, 2008's NY Times
"THE financial world is a mess, both in the United States and abroad. Its problems,
moreover, have been leaking into the general economy, and the leaks are now turning into a gusher. In the near term, unemployment will rise, business activity will falter and headlines will continue to be scary.

So ... I’ve been buying American stocks. This is my personal account I’m talking about, in which I previously owned nothing but United States government bonds. (This description leaves aside my Berkshire Hathaway holdings, which are all committed to philanthropy.) If prices keep looking attractive, my non-Berkshire net worth will soon be 100 percent in United States equities."
If you can spare a few minutes, read the whole thing. I have had that window open for three days trying to read it and have to say it was definitely worth the wait! Great stuff!

No comments: