Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Finance Reading List

I was asked for a "summer reading list" for finance classes so here you go: ten (non technical) finance/economics books I would recommend.

1. The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman. It has been talked about everywhere (even the SBU graduation speaker mentioned it by name) but it is definitely worth the read! Probably my favorite of the bunch. Read what I wrote about it previously.

2. The Wisdom of Crowds by Jame Surowiecki. Great. Tells you more about market efficiency (and the lack thereof) than several classes could.

3. Random Walk Down Wall Street-by Burton Malkiel. A must read classic!

4. Against the Gods--Peter Bernstein. I remember my first reaction to this book was--Wow! It makes risk management not only interesting but fun!

5. The End of Poverty by Jeff Sachs. It is about ending extreme poverty. I really liked it! An important read that covers strategies to fight poverty from China to India to Africa. Also has an interesting economic history of the world. Introduction is by Bono.

6. Heard on the Street: Quantitative Questions from Wall Street Job Interviews--even if you are not interviewing, this one is interesting and somewhat fun! EVERY business school should have this one!

7. Barbarians at the Gate--Yeah, it's outdated. Yeah, it reads like a novel. Yeah, I like it and still use some of the examples.

8. Freakonomics--by Steven Levitt and Stepham Dubner. It is an interesting and fast read. Levitt is always a worthwhile read.

9. Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. I hate to admit it but I think about this book during almost every sporting event I watch. It may not be the best written book on the list (and I have to agree with the Amazon review, he does come across as arrogant) but it is still definitely a VERY worthwhile read.

10. Worry Free Investing by Zvi Bodie. Basic idea: invest in bonds and options. Might be a tad text-bookish, but such a great idea. I hope more people do it!


Well there you have it. Ten Finance books to read this summer ;) No doubt I have forgotten many others as well, but here are a few to whet your appetite.

Maybe someday soon I will list ten non finance books again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might also include Jeremy Siegel's "Stocks for the Long Run," Roger Lowenstein's "When Genius Failed" and Kurt Eichenwald's "Conspiracy of Fools." The last one reads like a novel, and while it may have some biases it's a great introduction to Enron.

Anonymous said...

How about Soros' "The Alchemy of Finance," or "The House of Morgan," which is a great overview of the history of wall street.

Anonymous said...

"Reminiscences of a Stock Operator" by Edwin Lefevre: A Classic